Sunday 26 August 2012

ES2007S Blog post #1: Reasons why effective communication skills are important for me


Effective communication skills are very important for me because of two reasons. One is that these skills are essential for my future career in the field of communication. The other reason is just simple: effective communication helps me to enjoy my life.

My aim in the next five years is to become a PR practitioner. For a person working in the PR industry, the ability to communicate effectively is a must.

Quite a few people may think PR practitioners are good at telling lies to the public for the interest of their clients. However, it is not the practice of PR professionals. The role of PR is to do strategic communication management in order to maintain the mutual beneficial relationship between organization and its public. Moreover, the practitioners are required to interact with people from all walks of life. Therefore, it is no doubt that effective communication skills are the key for me to achieve my aim.

Not only does effective communication is needed for my future career but it is also necessary for me to enjoy the life. As human beings, we communicate every day, just as we eat and sleep. We do talking, singing, phone calling, glancing or even writing a blog post as I am doing now. However, successful communication is not always guaranteed since the skills are not something we were born with. An example is when you want to share your happiness with someone but they do not get it, or even think that you are showing off. In that case, the shared happiness that was supposed to be doubled now leads to misunderstanding and inconvenience.

To conclude, I believe my life would be so much easier if I am able to communicate effectively. As no one was born to be good at communicating and I am not an exception, improving communication skills is my top priority in order to have a successful career as well as an enjoyable life.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jung,
    Great post, I liked how you are very clear about why communicating effectively is important to you. I totally agree that effective communication can greatly enhance both work, as well as your personal life; in fact I shared the same idea on my own blog post. The example you gave, how sharing a story about your accomplishment might seem like bragging to somebody seems to happen often and I can actually relate to that. This example is a good way to show how miscommunication might ruin our relationships with others.

    However, there seems to be some problems with language in this post. Well, I also made many errors on my post. Brad will help you out identify and correct the mistakes, so don’t worry.

    Looking forward to future posts!

    -Hasan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jung,

    I like the teal floral background. Very nice and simple. More importantly, I love the quote. Oasis and Kanye West have been known to propagate the idea of not believing the "truth". For instance, the former, in their album title and the latter, in his music video "Runaway" where he tells a fallen angel not to believe anything the news claims to be true.

    Also, I like how, in your introduction, you mentioned two key points that you wished to touch on and stuck with that throughout your post. It is very clear to me how effective oral communication plays an important role in the career you wish to pursue.

    However, I would like to suggest how a few phrases could have been better written in my opinion.

    1) are good at telling lies to the public for the interest of their clients >>> are good at telling lies to the public to cater to the interests of their clients.

    2) Therefore, it is no doubt >>> Therefore, there is no doubt

    3) Not only does effective communication is needed for my future career but it is also necessary for me to enjoy the life. >>> Not only is effective communication needed for my future career but it is also necessary for me to enjoy life.

    4) We do talking (You don't do talking, no? ), singing, phone calling, glancing or even writing a blog post as I am doing now. >>> Communication happens in many things we do such as talking, singing ...

    5) As no one was born to be good at communicating and I am not an exception, improving... (I doubt you're saying what you meant here )>>> No one was born a good communicator and I am, surely, by no means an exception to that. As such, improving....

    I hope these suggestions help. Also, I would like to invite anyone else to comment on my suggestions too.

    Cheers,
    Hakeem


    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jung,

    Great work on your first post!

    It was very interesting to read how the profession you chose to pursue in the future solely depends on effective communication. Also, it's nice to know that you enjoy communicating effectively, rather than just looking for professional gains from it.

    I felt that 'Not only does effective communication is..' should be changed to 'Not only is effective communication..'.
    Apart from this, your post was very interesting to read!

    Looking forward to your next post! :)

    -Shweta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the others have noted, Jung, this is an excellent first post. You really zoom in on which skills are needed for you and why, illustrating deftly with a reference to your career choice. I like the way you have organized this, too, starting with a clear thesis and supporting that wit concrete details.

    So you're a PR person in the making? Great! It will be interesting for me to see how you react to the various stages of our course, since I'm sure you already have an eye for what makes effective communication (I can see that in this post!)

    There are only a few issues you should check out:

    1) The role of PR is to do strategic communication management in order to maintain the mutual beneficial relationship between organization and its public. >>>
    The role of PR is to do strategic communication management in order to establish and maintain a mutually beneficial relationship between an organization and the public and/or its clients. (Would something like this be better?)

    2) Not only does effective communication is needed... >>> Not only is effective communication needed...

    3) glancing ... >>> glancing over

    4) An example is when you want to share your happiness with someone but they do not get it, or even think that you are showing off. >>>
    An example is when a person wants to share his or her happiness with someone else but that person does not get it or might even think that the first person showing off. (This would be slight more formal since there is no use of the "you.")

    Your post has also inspired some good feedback. Thanks for the effort, Jung.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comments and interests :D

    I will take note your comments and amend this blog post in a separate post :D

    Although now I'm majoring in Communication & New Media, it will not guarantee me a job in PR industry. So I will have to acquire communication skills on my own as well. And I think this course together with your helps will definitely help me to hone my communication skills :)

    P/s: Thanks Hakeem, I love that the blog does support themes while Facebook looks so boring with just white and blue haha

    ReplyDelete