Wednesday 14 November 2012

ES2007S Blog post #5: Oral Presentation Reflection

Together with my teammates I had a good time doing the oral presentation. Our group and others in the class all have done very well. For me I think I made a huge improvement as compared to all my previous presentation in NUS.

Some of my strengths are
- I fully controlled the content of my part without memorizing the script. This surprised me since previously I always wrote full script and memorized it.
- I maintained eye contact and volume quite well, good gestures and standing position, much better as compared to the peer teaching session.
- The slides were clear and concise. This style of no bullet points is new to me but I found it's very effective when you present some topics that require emotional appeals. On the other hand, bullet point style is useful for presenting information in details.
- And the most thing which I think makes me satisfied with this presentation is my confidence. Previously in the peer teaching session and even other presentations in different modules I took, I did feel nervous a lot and when I did I forgot everything I prepared. This in turn badly affected my eye contacts, volume (which was eventually softer), and etc. I guess because I put a lot of thoughts on my part which is to argue for smokers' right, I was really confident and enthusiastic to present it.

My weaknesses:
-  During the presentation, I'm always looking at others' reactions and think myself whether they understand me. This eventally distracts me from controlling my voice (as I am nervous my voice will get softer). In this presentation it happened a few times.
- I did not interact with the audiences.At some points I intended to make some interaction bet most of the time I was afraid their response would be out of my control, which might make it difficult to continue my part.

Nevertheless, with all the new things I have learned through the oral presentation assignment, I really believe that it will help me to develop good presentation skills.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jung,

    It was a pleasure to read your ideas and understand every bit of your experience. I completely agree with you. You did a fine job in crafting and delivering your ideas and I really was looking forward to your solutions. I thought you were very confident and sincere in your approach and that is what kept me grained to your ideas.

    As far as this post is concerned. Excellent work in highlighting your strengths and weaknesses. Putting your ideas into bullets made it very easy for me to comprehend especially when I was reading so many posts and commenting on them.

    Thank you for your effort. You did a fine job and will do even better for your future presentations.

    Thanks,
    Aditi

    ReplyDelete